***South Tyneside advisors ONLY***
Aims to provide attendees with a wider understanding of the effects of smoking on the local and national population including research and technical skills and techniques including Very Brief Advice to support clients to stop smoking using simple behaviour change techniques and an awareness of when to use them.
- Knowledge of smoking in the population including demographic characteristics, in particular pregnancy and mental health problems
- Knowledge of national, and, where appropriate, local smoking prevalence and information on how to access current information
- Discuss the health impact of smoking and set this against health improvement targets and the national policy context
- Understand the diseases linked with smoking and the benefits of quitting and nicotine withdrawal
- Knowledge and skills to support smokers who relapse
- Knowledge and skills in the use of a carbon monoxide monitor
- Identify the various therapies available to help people quit, including dosages and side effects
- Describe the principles and long-term and short-term effectiveness of behavioural support
- Consider national monitoring and reporting requirements
Please note: If you fail to attend or do not give us the required notice to cancel your place we reserve the right to charge a cancellation fee.
For more information click here
This course is suitable for those who have recently secured a stop smoking practitioner post and need to increase their skills and knowledge, or for those who wish to pursue a career in the profession or who wish to add smoking cessation to their own working practices.